self-control = the ability to keep one's self in check. the ability to say 'no' to emotions, cravings, urges.
a person who has self-control has mastered their desires and love of pleasure.
to win the battle of self-control, i have to recognize the conflict and rely totally upon God's help and grace. ephesians 6.10-13.
common problem areas for fleshly urges.. snacks. sweets. clothes. making good use of my time, all the time.
self-control does NOT: yield to temptation, give in to desires, participate in sin, indulge itself, satisfy itself
self-control cares about:
growing more Christ-like
being a good steward of my body (which is the temple of the Holy Spirit)
being a good steward of the money God has given me
spending my time wisely, in a worthwhile way
blessings of not succumbing to the flesh (saying 'no')..
1. i can have God's victory in whatever temptation is attacking me
2. i can build a track record with Him and gain experience that will help me later when i face another temptation
i must see every decision as a battle. who will i side with? my flesh, or the Holy Spirit?
how to start mastering your self (flesh)..
1. pray. over everything. before every decision. commit each day to Him in prayer.
2. monitor my input. don't put yourself in situations where you'll be tempted.
3. stay busy.
4. keep a schedule.
5. don't pamper myself.
7. saturate my mind with His Word. read proverbs for wisdom. memorize key verses.