Thursday, February 18, 2010

AS OUR EXAMPLE

summer's notebook, chapter 5.

by looking at Jesus' attitudes, especially as He went to endure the cross for us, we can see His perfect example of living out love, joy, and peace. and how encouraging is it that we have a Savior who so perfectly understands our trials? He has been through it all! (hebrews 4.15)

LOVE = 'this is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down His life for us.' 1 John 3.16. Jesus gave us the ultimate and perfect picture of love.. the sacrifice of self.

JOY = 'let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning is shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.' hebrews 12.2. Jesus showed us the meaning of joy when He willingly, with praise for His Father, bore the burden of our sins and endured physical agony on the cross.

PEACE = trusting His Father's plan Jesus submitted to His will. He knowingly and calmly let Himself be seized and crucified for us. 'Yet not as I will, but as You will.' matthew 26.39b

may my Savior's attitude and behavior be my model.. that whatever i may encounter today, that my response will be to reach out to my Father to sustain and strengthen me. that i will go to my own 'garden of gethsemane' of prayer, instead of trying to do things by my own power. how many times a day do i trust my own judgment and strength, do i complain and worry, do i do my duty grudgingly, all because i would not just stop and give my burden over to my Savior who would not feel the weight of it?! i need to spend this time in prayer, i need to go to Him as often and as long as it takes 'until i have all of Him and He has all of me'. until the flesh is overcome and i am committed to walking by His Spirit.

reading assignment: chapter 6, resisting in patience
memory verse: proverbs 19.11

No comments:

Post a Comment