- pay attention to your fruitfulness. be aware of of how i'm doing. i can't expect to grow without giving it any thought. just like the tending a plant, there must be nurturing, fertilizing, watering, and training in order to achieve any growth.
- don't be content with where i am right now. pray that my weaknesses would be evident, my fleshly tendencies would be easily and quickly recognized.
defining|explaning. in order to bear fruit, i must understand the fruit and how it grows..
problems we run into with our growth..
2. sinful nature (galatians 5.17).
3. trying to do it ourselves. thinking that if we just try harder to 'be good' we can gain the gracious habits on our own (but romans 3.12 says this is impossible.)
fruit can be produced in us when we yield to God and allow His Spirit to work in us. 'it is only as we walk by His Spirit that we show forth Christ in our lives. and God gives us the grace to do this as we abide in Christ.'
- fruit = evidence of what is within. gracious habits the Holy Spirit produces in us.
- walking by the Spirit = living each moment in submission to God. seeking to please Him with our thoughts, words, and actions. letting Him guide and work within us, for His glory.
- abide in Christ = continued fellowship with the Lord. being submissive to His will. keeping constant contact. can be practically seen by reading His word, praying, and obeying Him.
the world has yet to see what God can do with and for and through and in a man who is fully and wholly consecrated to Him. henry varley.
reading assignment for next week: chapter 2, looking to God for love.
memory verses: john 13.34 | romans 12.9-10 | romans 13.8